Shopping online is comfortable, the selection is gigantic. Nice, if everything is right. But what to do, if things did not go so well and the delivery of the goods fails?
The essentials in brief:
- Basically, when shopping online: mistrust you very cheap offers, sellers who require payments abroad, and compulsion to pay in advance.
- If you have fallen for cheaters, there are still ways to get your money back.
- What exactly to do depends on the chosen payment method. Mostly you have to react quickly.
The online advance payment fraud
In 2018, more than 50 billion euros were transacted online in Germany. Ascending trend. The good news: Most businesses that do business on the Internet are reputable. At the same time, the Internet is a playground for scammers.
Even with the utmost caution – a victim of criminal attacks can be easy on the Internet. The trick is always the same: goods are offered at very reasonable prices and you are asked to pay in advance. The goods themselves never arrive.
Dubious offers lurk not only in questionable online shops, but also on sales platforms such as eBay or Amazon Marketplace and on classified ad portals. Especially very favorable offers and with providers, which demand payments abroad, extreme caution is necessary.
Overall, especially with previously unknown online merchants, you should be suspicious if advance payment is to be made. You can check providers and their seriousness by entering the company name on the Internet. Real website of a provider or on a fake copy (keywords phishing and fake shops).
How do I get my money back?
If, despite all precautions, you have fallen for cheaters, you will not have to lose your money right away. Bank transfer, direct debit, credit card, payment services or cash transfer service – the possibilities with the help of your financial service provider to reclaim your money differ in detail:
- A bank transfer you made yourself can not be reversed if your bank has already completed the order. At best, a quick call helps. Few banks offer a “stop” feature – valid for a few minutes after submission – in online banking access.
- The easiest way is to retrieve a sepa- direct debit . A legitimate or approved direct debit can be rebooked within eight weeks from the date of the debit. This goes in cases of fraud even up to 13 months later.
- Also credit card payments can be reversed. In the so-called batch-back process, payments can be canceled. This usually costs a processing fee.
- Different with payment via cash transfer service like Western Union or Money gram. With these services, a recall of the money is possible until the money in the store is personally collected by the recipient. If you discover a crime, you must be very fast: Call immediately the fraud hotline of the provider!